Making this dress had its ups and downs... I had a definite picture in my head of what I wanted it to look like but ...getting to final product was not easy. This fabric is one of my absolute favorites and I have had it in my stash for awhile, I waited because I have a fear of cutting into a beloved fabric and making a fatal mistake. I also had the dilemma of an insufficient quantity of fabric for what I wanted to make. Handsome ALWAYS tells me to buy a little extra but I never do. I had two meters. And I wanted a maxi dress. Impossible. Or was it?
I used the bodice of Butterick 5353 because it had many smaller pieces... giving me the ability to find the fabric I needed in the "scraps". Then I used the skirt of Simplicity 1881, a full enough skirt to fulfill my "flowy" maxi requirements without eating up too much of it and I added five inches to the length.
The fabric was sooooo slippery and it puckered like crazy! That, coupled with fit issues, and I was at times, close to tears. I took a deep breath and carried on. I am so glad that I did. Wearing it today while out and about in Edmonton felt glorious! A warm 27 degrees, hanging out with my best friend while wearing a pretty dress felt great.
But next time, I'll listen to my hubby and buy a little extra. Honey, you were right again!
|Dress: self-made Shoes: Old Navy( gift from my awesome sis)|